Revival Dawn - One Piece RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Switch Account

Latest topics
[Market] [Shop] The Shop of DreamsYesterday at 10:41 pmSkoll[Market] [Trade] Trading ForumYesterday at 10:35 pmSkoll[Crew] Skoll's Rescue & RaidingYesterday at 10:24 pmSkoll[Bio] Aya "Pikasso" RuizWed Apr 17, 2024 1:28 pmGray[World Event] A Fool's ErrandTue Apr 16, 2024 2:00 pmAnne La Tene[Episode] Ancient Blood ArisesTue Apr 16, 2024 1:25 pmLavender[Board] Quest Requests and Quest GradingsMon Apr 15, 2024 8:30 amGray[Saga] [Black Drum Island Conquest] The Bottom Line Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:40 pmNoah[Crew] The Vintage HordeSun Apr 14, 2024 3:04 pmOrion Montgomery
Go down
Anonymous

Meownster Hunter: The Fur-ozen Frontier Empty Meownster Hunter: The Fur-ozen Frontier

This post has in-line assessment comments.Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:49 pm

occulte à la carte
Laurel soon realized she overdressed, amazingly enough; nearly everyone else was complaining it was cold as the Frozen Hell. One of the blessings of her Devil Fruit, she supposed, was her tolerance for such weather, but she thought she should put on extra layers, just to be safe. Now thanks to the fur from her ears and her tail she was overheating like it was the night sweats she so dreaded getting one day. Maybe she’d hand the extra clothes over to Sleepy before landing; the poneglyph expert already promptly declined joining the hunt before just as quickly going into hibernation.

With all the snowfall surrounding her on the deck, Laurel couldn’t blame her. In most cases, this would be the occasion to build a campfire, pull up a chair, and curl up to a good book with some tea. Unfortunately, there was business to be done—-granted, that business was being done of their own volition—and the winding silhouette on the horizon told her they were coming close to their destination.

Less than a minute after sighting the mountain shadows, and the tall figure of the shipwright, Sado, came out from the bridge, approaching. Against all logic, he was one of the few crew members not dressed for the occasion. “News from the navi, chief. We have a visual of the island, and we’ll make landing in ten at current speed. Though you probably already know that, looking from here.”

“Indeed I do, but thank you for letting me know.” Laurel lit a pinch of tobacco in her pipe. “I was wondering how our Den Den Mushi would handle the journey.”

“Hardy little buggers as long as you keep ‘em fed. And not include salt in that diet. I know Darling’s tried.”

“Nothing new there.”

“By the way, speaking of the navi—is it me or. . .”

Laurel shook her head, exhaled. Despite appearances, Sado was one of the more compassionate members of the pirate crew. He wanted to look out for other crewmates, especially the juniors. Laurel silently applauded that. The navigator, for his part, reacted to the news of hunting an unusual and ferocious monster the same way a shell-shocked Marine would the sounds of mortar fire.

“It isn’t. I understand this isn’t his first time with this sort of job. Give the lad time. He’ll open up and settle down, if not build a tolerance.”

“His last captain was Sinbad, right? What did he do to that kid?”

“What didn’t he do?”

“. . . .”

“Sado, please tell me you’re not blushing and envying something awful.”

“Then I’ll just say it’s the cold.”

“Well, put some more clothes on. If this Sea King is as tough as the message says we’ll need you frostbite-free. Make sure everybody else is ready to mobilise as well. And pass these to Sleepy, please.”

“Right-o.” Sado marched back into the bridge. Laurel resumed her sightseeing.
Meownster Hunter: The Fur-ozen Frontier Tg4Ok47

STATS TRACKER:
0 TECHNIQUES USED | 0 ACTIVE USED | 1 PASSIVE USED:
0 TECHNIQUES COOLING DOWN:

Last edited by Laurel O’Halloran on Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:07 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Some geographic corrections)
Anonymous

Meownster Hunter: The Fur-ozen Frontier Empty Re: Meownster Hunter: The Fur-ozen Frontier

This post has in-line assessment comments.Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:31 am

- RISE -
"Together, we’re gonna rise with the morning light."

With surefooted steps Mazin headed towards the deck like a forlorn vessel: treading along slowly, a pace which might normally suggest a certain aimlessness were he not moving forward unquestionably, undeviatingly—as if bound in but one direction by a rudder long locked in place.  A looming shadow hung over the boy, larger than merely the beast waiting somewhere beyond the shore. To his credit, the navigator performed his duties thoroughly, but it did not take a discerning eye to see he was lost in a sense far beyond than the physical, as though an ominous cloud descended down and darkened his worldview, making him not quite sure of where he stood in many aspects.

From out above deck, down below in distant halls, reverberating echoes of laughter bounced off crisp timber, excited voices spoke of anticipated thrill in a manner he recognized—a familiarity that hooked itself to his heart, then viciously tugged. Everything about this venture rang of something his previous captain, Sinbad, would be up to—to rail against adversity, to one-up the Marines, and most importantly of all: to build an awe-inspiring tale (one that might be embellished with each telling? Perish the thought). There was something—something—in Mazin that wanted to join them in spirit, but he could not bring himself to.

For over a year Mazin waited to hear another grandiose tale about the man who had taken him under his wing, and for over a year, he heard nothing. A situation that should have been impossible, or at least so he thought once, twice, and so on. Well, not unless...

He pushed his way out onto deck, closing the door behind him with a distinct thud. Frigid, powdery air embraced him as he crunched and weaved his way to his Captain, stopping just enough distance away so she wouldn’t have to crane her neck down to look at him.

The boy, dressed in blue parka jacket with white fur around its hood, still titled his head upward at her, however. Normally it was the young that braved the cold and the old that huddled for warmth, not that he was about to point that out, but he had to admit some envy to the fact that if she really wanted to, she could simply grow more fur for warmth. After a second of silence, he spoke, “Hey boss. I'd just like to warn you while I can that word got out that apparently the natives have a chef of some reknown and have excellent ‘home recipes.' So now Mercy is saying she absolutely has to come with us."

As if on cue, a haunting gust of wind whirled snow across the deck. Darling's work, perhaps. In the process, his newfound “cute doggie ears” sewed onto his hood, courtesy of the ship’s two youngest members, flapped baggily in a wild display that prompted him to clutch them to the side of his head.

In truth he hated them. It wasn't like needed reason to look more childish, but this was also his least vandalized jacket. "Also you probably already know this, but there were no signs of Marine activity on this side of the island. Not that that doesn't make me want to jump off this ship and try to get that thing before our doctor kills us all..."

JUNIER of GS+ Adox
Anonymous

Meownster Hunter: The Fur-ozen Frontier Empty Re: Meownster Hunter: The Fur-ozen Frontier

This post has in-line assessment comments.Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:23 am

occulte à la carte
The peaks that dotted the island were coming closer into view until the snow and the rock could be distinguished, and Laurel eyed them with the intensity of a cat stalking its prey. It had less with expecting their mark to appear there, and more judging the stability of the snow itself if the beast wound up closer to the mainland. Perhaps to be expected, there were surface patterns on the tops—the mark of strong winds, which droned between the slopes like baleful trumpets—and chunks of snow were missing that indicated signs of avalanches in the past. Laurel sighed through her pipe; even if the snowfall lightened soon, the environment itself was not favorable, even for her. Such was the climate of a winter-type island.

Her ears twitched to the sound of the bridge doors coming opening again, the steps of lighter feet approaching. She still turned around, and looked down with a greeting to the ship’s navigator, “Mazin,” only to notice the extra set of ears that were on him through his hood. She blinked once, but elected to say nothing of them. The boy’s ego looked damaged as it was.

It wasn’t long before she had far worse things on her mind, however. The news of new chefs was one thing, as the ship’s had retired and the crew found itself in short supply of a regular who could cook competently, consistently, and perhaps most important of all, with variety, but that was exactly the bad news. Not the chefs themselves . . . but to whom the news of their existence would reach the ears of. And the one name Mazin dropped was precisely what she did not wish to hear.

Nevertheless, Laurel beamed down on Mazin serenely . . . and dangerously. It was almost a sneer.

“What was that, Mazin? Could you come closer to repeat that, please?” Laurel accusingly pointed at the arches of the island, patting her ears with another hand. “This cursed wind seems to be interfering with my hearing. . . .”

But it was too late. A low rumbling could be heard below the main deck. A one-man stampede was slowly rising to their level.

“Oh, now you’ve done it,” Laurel said, and Sado shot out like a bolt of lighting, skidding across the deck to his captain’s feet on his knees.

“OH PLEASE, PLEEEAAASE LET MERCY COME WITH US!!!” the shipwright screamed, slamming his hands and head on the floor to bow in the dogeza style. Laurel’s expression, in a rarity, dropped its smile and any other gesture that might have been made as a facade; it was blank, almost in shock, staring in silence at the begging, sobbing man. The captain could almost not process Sado’s actions, from his mad dash through the Xu Fu, to his repeated bowing that denigrated himself to the point she began to feel embarrassed for him, it took much of her willpower to not blurt out what the devil he was doing.

And just as quickly as the blank stare was on her face, it disappeared, replaced with a motherly smile. She helped the shipwright up. “Stand up, Sado. There. I was going to have Mercy come with us anyway. We don’t know how well-versed those Minks are with medicine; and it wouldn’t do to have our employers succumb to injuries, now, would it?”

“So—then can—” Sado stumbled over his words over snot-laden sniffles and sobs. “If Mercy can learn some things from the cats, she can be a chef again?” He paused expectantly. My chef?”

Laurel’s smile widened. She put a hand on Sado’s shoulder. “Do you remember my answer the last time you asked that question?”

“You told me if I wanted a cook that’s been banned from the kitchen I should Mazin, right?” Sado’s face suddenly darkened. “You’ve gotta be fucking kidding me. The shit that kid makes—it’s alive. I don’t kill the innocent.”

“He’s standing right here, you know.”

“He isn’t thinking about honing his skills with the meowster—I mean master chefs of the Mink tribe, is he? He should give it up. He’ll never improve. At best he’ll stop making complex organisms and begin creating amoeboids.”

“You do realize that applies just as much to Mercy as it does to Mazin, yes?”

“Does that mean—”

“I believe you just answered your own question.”

“Oh, chief! You know it’s the neglect that hurts me the most!!!”

“And if you neglect to take anything with you you’ll get left behind.”

“Fiiiiiine,” Sado said, and huffed away, all with the enthusiasm of a disaffected teenager.

Laurel took another draw from her kiseru, exhaled. “Fie, there’s no winning with him.” She glanced back to the island. “Well, never mind him. We have another three . . . no, two and a half nautical miles before we reach land. Even in this weather it shan’t be long. That’s my layman’s guess, at least.”

Then she turned back to Mazin, smiling down on him reassuringly, even as the howls of the wind grew louder, augmented by the island formations. “And no Marines to interfere means our entry and exit will be that much easier. So, Mazin, how are you holding up? Feeling nervous?”
Meownster Hunter: The Fur-ozen Frontier Tg4Ok47

STATS TRACKER:
0 TECHNIQUES USED | 0 ACTIVE USED | 1 PASSIVE USED:
0 TECHNIQUES COOLING DOWN:
Anonymous

This post has in-line assessment comments.Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:41 pm

- RISE -
"Together, we’re gonna rise with the morning light."

Mazin was mistaken.

It was no a mere breeze that followed his disclosure of Mercy’s intent, but a whirlwind, a physical manifestation of furor conjured by the whimsy of a man most unnatural, momentarily distant, yet soon to close. He recognized this just a moment after his captain’s words, and in recognition of his blunder as well as what was to come, he stepped back—knowing full well the best thing he could do was stand there, shut up, and let Laurel do the talking. Even if that meant bearing utter ridiculousness, not to mention lies and slander—utmost lies and slander.

By the time Sado was gone and Laurel turned back to him, Mazin was standing gazing sullenly in the distance, arms crossed. Once she turned her full attention on the him he quickly assumed a more respectful posture, a purposeful gesture intended to clear himself from any suspicion insubordination—or heavens forbid, pouting—although the scholar might have heard him finish a few mumblings, if she listened close. Something about how he liked cooking or how Elmo told him his food was delicious, but one might’ve simply chalked that up to whispers on the wind.

A couple seconds passed, then he answered her question. "“I’m fine, I guess,” he said dully, almost robotically. It was a question he noticed he’d gotten more than once after his initial, grave-faced response to their current venture, something he had tried to wave off with bravado, "“I just...don’t have the best memories with big animals.”

He shifted uncomfortably, focus flickering to nearby workers, "But that was awhile ago, back with my old crew.”

For a moment Mazin looked ready to continue, but then he stopped.  Slowly, he brought his eyes back to meet his captain’s own, something in them now appraising, judging, as he considered what to say during this brief time they'd be relatively alone.

He imagined Laurel wouldn’t have much difficulty figuring out what he was talking about. His previous captain, her colleague of sorts, was not exactly a man reknown for his restraint. Their escape from the island of Rusukaina was one she’d surely know was but one time they flirted with the titan that was Danger and then made off by the skin of their own teeth. And while Mazin did not fool himself into thinking he entirely knew the woman he served under, he took pride in believing he had some grasp on who she was, enough so to recognize that while she too greatly enjoyed such flirtation, with her there was always a backup plan in the works, a degree of caution that his former captain did not simply abandon, but threw entirely into the wind.

Such was the attribute that allowed Sinbad to rapidly strike while the iron was hot. If asked to compare the two captains, Mazin would propose that the difference between them was like that of a seasoned gambler compared to a shrewd investor. One lived for thrill of risk versus reward, while the other weighed her options, balancing what she’d have to put into something how much she could get out of it.

Of course the payoff ended up being entirely different when said gambler was stupidly lucky, if not a bit crafty himself.

Instead, it was precisely because of who Laurel was that he imagined that if Sinbad’s luck had finally run out, she’d have told him as a matter of trust—unless she’d decided she no longer had use for him, which certainly did not seem to be the case for now, at least. The only quandry left was just what she was up to, and why.

It wasn’t like she was usually the spontaneous sort. And charitable? Most certainly not.

With a somewhat exaggerated determination, the boy raised a single arm and flexed as though his short, vaguely-twig arm matched a bodybuilder's sculpted physique. He presented himself with an air of relaxed confidence as he flashed a particularly toothy grin, albeit not perhaps the widest Laurel might've seen from him. "If you're nervous, though, don't worry! I've totally got this! You can just sit back and drink tea or something." Mazin waited a beat. Then, "But what will we do if the locals don't want our help? Do you still want to hunt this thing down for practice? Or was this trip more to make connections?"

JUNIER of GS+ Adox

OOC Note:
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Join Revival Dawn on Discord