Revival Dawn - One Piece RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Switch Account

Latest topics
[World Event] A Fool's ErrandThu Jul 25, 2024 8:35 pmVolo Rosso[Arc] [Rubeck Island Conquest][Part 2] Last Tango in Rubeck Sun Jul 21, 2024 6:57 amMaxwell[Episode] Corruption of BloodSun Jul 14, 2024 3:51 amYumiko[Episode] Mink-staken IdentityThu Jul 04, 2024 6:28 amYumiko[Board] Quest Requests and Quest GradingsSat Jun 29, 2024 9:00 pmGray[Episode] Now, where am I?Sat Jun 29, 2024 8:56 pmGray[Episode] Waking MonstersSat Jun 29, 2024 12:00 pmGray[Abandoned] [Arc] [Tequila Wolf Conquest] The Rotten Lie of Tequila WolfTue Jun 25, 2024 3:23 pmGray[Market] [Shop] The Shop of DreamsSun Jun 23, 2024 5:11 pmGray
Go down
Anonymous

[Episode] You Get What You Give Empty [Episode] You Get What You Give

This post has in-line assessment comments.Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:45 pm
The sea air had polluted the town mostly, it was a nice part by the sea but the town itself was a little rundown, but honest in a way. If one were to dock and walk through it's dock, you'd sense a feel of comarade from the seamen, a sense of loyalty amongst the townfolk but such a noble feeling is often daunted whenever nobility come around. They only deal with them when they need to, not when they have to. The reputation of the king does it's wanders, but the person that they despise the most is Morgan, the man who looks after the port and the town. When word had spread of Morgan making a visit today, townsfolk made sure to steer clear as they made a good guess at what the visit was for.

A statue, in the centre of the town was being built in the image of Morgan himself. He employed a fair few builders to ensure that it would be done in a timely manner, with Theon being contracted in the mix. Their progress so far was only up to his hips, and today was a full-on day to ensuring that they'd make a good dent on the progress. The hips were the hardest part, more so in regards to the mass as Morgan himself is a... individual with big mass, as one would politely put it.

Half-way through the day, the builders were on break but some of the food vendors were limited, as they tried to steer clear of Morgan's visit today. It was due to their bad timing with their break that Morgan had arrived, to his statue, only half-way through finished and to find them sitting around. The yelling could've been heard by anyone, as it was thunderous around the town, Theon was convinced it could even be heard from the docks.

"Why are you lot just sitting around?! I'm not paying you to be lazy." is what Theon could coherently hear within distance, he glanced a look at the man himself. A bald-man in a black suit, but he had an impressive, fat chin. He was surprised the buttons on the suit weren't popping off. "Why did you stop at the hips?" he asked to one of the nearby builders. "Uh... we're trying to balance out the weight, so the statue doesn't fall down-" "Oh, you're calling me fat?" that seemed to hit a nerve. "I get enough of that crap from the others, I don't need someone like you calling me that!" and off he went, he basically chewed a new one through the builder for a few minutes before he walked off in a huff.

By the time he was clearly done with his visit, the builders peacefully went back to their break. "I think we should stop balancing out the weight, we should make the statue even fatter." it garnered a chuckle across the builders. "I don't think we have enough stone for that mate." it spiked into a series of laughers afterwards, but they finally calmed down. The rest were eating their lunches peacefully afterwards, until Theon had spoke up. "He does this everytime?" to which the builder replied "Yeah, everytime, usually something goes wrong with the other nobles and he takes it out on the townsfolk. It was one of the easier times fortunately, sometimes he uh... gets a bit more physical." Theon raised an eyebrow at that, and a slight irritation was notable in his voice now. "And nobody does anything? I have half a mind to use my sword and show him a-" a hand raised from a different builder, who stopped him there. "He's still royalty, a royalty that's backed by the World Government, not to mention, he has a serious bodyguard under his employ. I heard the bodyguard singlehandedly stopped a pirate invasion by himself... anyway, I'm sure a lot of people want to do what you're proposing to do, but he just has a power behind him that we don't, that's the unfortunate reality." with his hand down, the point was made. It didn't sit easy by Theon, but he understood well enough why people couldn't do anything about it.

It still wasn't a thought he abandoned, but he had no idea to go about it. If the bodyguard really is as serious as one of the builders had put it, he wouldn't stand a chance. The lunch had wrapped up, but Theon was still eating, sitting quietly by himself until he'd finish up himself, to soon join the other builders.

WC: 762

Last edited by Theon Clyde on Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maxwell
Maxwell
[Episode] You Get What You Give Vk6odI4
[tracker=/t139-richard-maxwell#516]
Name : Richard Maxwell
Epithet : Plague Rat
Height : 6'0" / 183 cm
Weight : 160 lbs. / 73 kg
Species : Human
Faction : Pirate
World Position : Supernova
Bounty : [bel=r] 243,000,000
Quality Score : S+
Income Bonus : +0.20 (to all allies)
Shop Discount : -10%
Balance : [bel] 1,217,129,125
[[bookworm]][[firstaidkit]][[berryprinter]]
[[identitytheft]][[identitytheft]][[improviseadaptovercome]]

[Episode] You Get What You Give Empty Re: [Episode] You Get What You Give

This post has in-line assessment comments.Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:37 am
Some towns were too small to have a real name. Or maybe the name was something people preferred not to say. Either way, this particular rundown town was rather quiet today. Though passing visitors might not know the real reason. Only a few people were on the streets. Others were steering clear of... something... Almost like they were hiding. Or avoiding trouble, depending on who you asked. Well, peace and quiet were still nice. Salty winds kissed the streets gently. Laughing gulls flew overhead. Days like this could be best described as serene. Picturesque even.

“No, no and for the last time NO!”

A shrill shriek of a posh, upper-class accent echoed far. It was coming from the gate to a massive manor, the home of a certain pompous, fat windbag. “Get out this instant! Out, out, OUT!” Curious bystanders watched with a mix of shock and pity, as a short, elderly maid armed with a broom chased a tall, lanky man. He had the sharp attire of a gentleman, the massive suitcase of a salesman, and the gait of a long-distance runner. Only after he was out the gate, the maid came to a screeching halt. She barked after him like a mad guard dog. “His highness Lord Morgan is not present at the moment and even if he were, he would not invite a mere commoner into his home. Begone and do not come back!” Not wanting to feel the business end of that broom again, the rat quickly scurried away.

Several streets and corners later, the fleeing man finally came to a stop. Wheezing weakly, he leaned against a wall. He dug into his pockets, producing a lighter and a cheap cigarette. A flame flickered and soon smoke swirled around him. Richard Maxwell, a self-proclaimed entrepreneur and oft-proclaimed crook, found himself back on square one yet again... See, after the farce that had been his short and violent trip to Las Camp, he had escaped all the way here on the hunt for something easier. No risky schemes or convoluted scams and certainly no suicidal missions against the government. In fact, he was thinking of something clean and simple...

Just a good, old-fashioned heist.

Unfortunately, information gathering had gone poorly this time. Personally, the criminal blamed poor timing more than anything. Apparently the richest man around -and thus the most lucrative target- had wandered off to oversee some sort of construction project. He had tried to slip into his manor under the usual pretense, an artist looking to paint a mural of a beloved leading figure. The plan had promptly crumbled when it was revealed that said man wasn’t exactly a people person. And neither were his servants. Honestly, that meant he needed a whole new approach. If the surly lord preferred his maids that... erm... fiery, then he shuddered to imagine what kind of a bodyguard he employed. He had heard some unsettling rumors, see.

Richard took a little stroll to clear his mind and to rethink his approach. Light, calm steps took him towards the town center. He hummed an idle tune beneath his breath. He needed... an excuse. A connection. Some sort of reason to approach the man directly. Rounding a corner, he arrived at the town square. His wandering gaze found the beginnings of what looked like a grand statue. Workers sauntered around it like reluctant ants, building something out of obligation rather than passion. As for the statue itself, the starting shape didn’t quite represent the country’s king, nor any other famous figure. Now, being a well-traveled man who read the morning paper, he could take an educated guess on who it might represent.

And that sparked an idea.

The crook shifted his attention onto the workers mingling nearby. He needed someone young and naive enough... Someone like... His eyes strayed onto a scarred fellow finishing his lunch nearby. ...That guy. Taking a couple of soundless steps closer, the sharp-dressed rat cleared his throat. “Say, that statue... wouldn’t happen to be depicting our glorious leader Morgan, would it?” He went light on the sarcasm. Never knew when you might run into the one nutjob who actually liked the guy. Leaning idly on a nearby street lamp, he took a drag of his cancer stick and exhaled a stream of gray haze. “I hear he is quite the personality... I've never met him though, so I wouldn’t really know. Have you?” Just lazy smalltalk, something to break the ice.

WC: 746

Last edited by Maxwell on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:21 am; edited 1 time in total

This post has in-line assessment comments.Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:19 pm
His lunch would've been finished up soon, if it weren't for the fellow who had walked along and started talking to Theon, not that he minded it, but there was the slight worry in his head that he's taking more time on his break than he actually should. Nevertheless, he was polite enough to answer his questions at the least. "I wouldn't say glorious, but yeah, that's meant to be him." he thought it might've been a given, but maybe Morgan hasn't been bragging off about the statue yet, not until it's finished at the least. "Yeah, just then he basically just verbally abused one of us for minutes on straight. I heard it happens a lot, with it getting physical sometimes and townsfolk just have to take it." he was reiterating what one of the other builders had told him, and a slight tense rosed up in his body when he mentioned the physical part. Theon's outfit itself was his casual outfit, but no special jacket of colour this time around due to the work today. He'd easily get hot for the full day ahead if he were to wear one.

"I want to get back at him somehow, but he's a man of power. I also heard he's got a scary bodyguard with him as well, that's what kinda stomps on the whole idea." it's obvious that he's up to doing no good against Morgan, but the reality of it is hitting him a bit hard and pushes away any ambition to be more brave. "What's your beef with him?" Theon could see the stranger at the peripheral of his vision, but finally had a mind to turn his face and look fully at the man. The brown suit, trousers, leather shoes, he can appreciate a man who dresses well. He can just hope the personality behind the appearance is just as good.

"Theon, get your ass moving already!" a voice from the direction of the statue called out, it looked like Theon was indeed taking up his sweet time with the gentleman, but despite the call, Theon stayed right where he was for a bit. "I still have a few minutes, they're just rushing after Morgan had a go at one of them..." one way or another, he knew that Morgan would always have something to complain about, he was nitpicky and angry like that. He was in no particular rush to get his statue finished unlike his fellow workers.

WC: 413
TWC: 1,175

Last edited by Theon Clyde on Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding WC counters)
Maxwell
Maxwell

This post has in-line assessment comments.Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:04 am
At last, Lady Luck started smiling. The crook could hardly contain his sly glee, as the young worker turned out polite and talkative. A double jackpot. It often paid off to simply shut up and listen, which is exactly what he did here. Every little nugget was valuable right now. He nodded along where appropriate, wearing that friendly smile as his mask. So, the mark wasn’t especially well-liked around here... Good to know. So very good to know. It meant that there wouldn’t be any surprising heroes rushing to the rescue. However, his smile wavered at the mention of the scary bodyguard. His knees already did a couple of practice shakes, before he shifted his posture. Right. That was the obstacle number two on this little heist...

When the young stranger asked a fair question in return, the gentleman was quick to casually wave it aside. “A beef? Oh, nothing quite so drastic. I have nothing against the good fellow, I assure you.” Spoken like a true politician, a nonchalant and ultimately worthless answer. He was not here to make enemies. ...Not quite yet anyway. A fortunate coincidence practically dropped the young man’s name into the rat’s lap. Saved him the trouble of asking. “Ah, but where are my manners?” He doffed his hat in lieu of shaking hands. “You can call me Franky. All my friends do.” The fake name was dropped with practiced ease, like he even believed it himself.

Since Theon didn’t seem to be in any hurry to return to work, ‘Franky’ leaned closer for a friendly suggestion. “Say, Theon, how would you like to grab a drink after work? My treat.” Beneath the carefree tone, he was carefully gauging the worker’s reaction. Expression, stance, tone, they often told more than words did, you know. “See, I have a job offer that might interest you...” And speaking of words, his were ever so cautiously crafted for the situation. Just an old habit. Never knew when someone was eavesdropping, you know. “Just a little side gig, really. Something you can do while you work on the statue. It’s about... balancing the scales, shall we say.” He figured this guy wasn’t quite dumb enough to swallow a deal that sounded too good to be true, so instead he let him read between the lines.

The criminal  took one last drag before flicking the spent butt aside. He straightened his back and grabbed the hefty suitcase again. “If you’re at all curious about the job, come find me when you’re off the clock. I’ll be staying at the Black Cat inn tonight.” With another tip of the hat, he bid the worker goodbye. For now. “Give it some thought. Ciao~!” Tugging the brim lower, until a shadow covered his features, he strode off.

WC: 464
Total: 1210

This post has in-line assessment comments.Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:07 pm
"Franky..." he muttered back to himself, an interesting name, but it felt like it was fitting of the gentleman, alongside his casual drop of it. Not that he had any reason to suspect him, but one would have to be naturally cautious talking to a stranger. He had found it odd that he had no beef with the guy, since every townsperson he came across had one or two horrible experiences with the guy, Theon has yet to hear a single good thing about Morgan. The forwardness on the offer of the drink was a bit surprising, but so far, every townsperson he came across has been rather nice to him. He had no reason to believe that Franky is dishonest, or had some sort of ulterior motive... that was, his line of thought until the last words had hit.

A job, a side gig, and considering their talk of Morgan not just a second ago, Theon easily pieced together what the gig might've been about... something around Morgan, possibly, but until it's directly said, Theon can't say for sure. So far, Theon's posture was one that was cautious, but his face is one that was definitely paying attention to Franky, meaning that the mention of the job did intrigue him. It was a good hook to blur the line around it, as Theon was too curious now to not show up to the inn. He gave a slight nod to Franky to his offer, "If you're suggesting what I think you're suggesting, we can talk more about it at the inn." he honestly had no idea what Franky could've really been talking about, and his thinking of it being related to Morgan is far-fetched.

"Theon, for the last time!" that voice from the other builder roared again, which was in good time as Franky concluded his talk with Theon. He finally wrapped up his break and joined the others, fixing the issue of balancing the statue weight so it doesn't fall flat and ruin days of work that's already been done. The work itself was rather menial in Theon's mind, as his true thought had ringed on the meeting not too long ago. The mystery behind the job just picked at his brain and the more he thought about it, the more curious he got, the more of a drive he had to actually turn up at that inn. The town had gotten a bit more lively again, as people went out of hiding and walked the streets, probably because of Morgan not being around anymore.

The rest of the day wasn't that exciting, and the issue with the statue was fixed. They figured that with Morgan's sensitivity to his weight, to just put on as much as the stone can handle and not anymore. It would be a compliment to the man's figure, feeding his ego. By the time they had finished the stomach though, their day was at an end and he imagined with a rather tiring day, the builders would just get home, drop dead on their bed and just wait for the next day to continue... this wasn't the case for Theon.

Theon liked to stick to what he knew, and hadn't thought about where the Black Cat Inn actually is. He resorted to asking for directions from nearby townsfolk, who gave him a weird look but had pointed the way. It took a fair bit, but after working off vague directions, he had finally found the place. As soon as he walked in, he could already eye a few suspicious individuals, if that weren't enough, he could see their weapons sheathed and holstered as if they were ready for a fight at a moment's notice. "What did I get myself into?" Theon thought.

He did his best to keep to himself, simply seating himself at the first empty table he could see, from his side glance of everyone that's currently in the establishment, Franky didn't catch his eye anywhere... he either had a poor vision or Franky meshed with the background really well... or really, he might not just be here yet. Theon was clearly nervous, on edge, as if he's waiting for something explosive to happen at any given second.

WC: 707
TWC: 1,882
Maxwell
Maxwell

This post has in-line assessment comments.Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:21 am
The Black Cat inn was a shady little establishment at the edge of the town, right by the docks. Three stories tall and gnawed by time, the bulky building had been squeezed between two old warehouses. The sign depicting a smiling cat was barely staying above the door on rusty bolts. Inside, the air was thick with the smell of grease, sweat and rum. Honestly, the booze was mediocre and the food awful, but at least the place offered a roof and something resembling a bed for weary travelers. Another trait the regulars liked was the complete lack of any marines or bounty hunters. Troublesome folk weren’t welcome here, which was why the new face garnered such stern glares. Luckily, the strict rule of ‘don’t start none, won’t be none’ still applied.

Criminals who stood out didn’t get far in the business. Blending into the crowd was an important skill for any thief. That’s why Theon’s gaze didn’t quite catch the crook hiding in plain sight. Leaning against the counter, he kept his head down and ears open. When the grouchy drunks around him started mumbling about a newcomer, he knew it was his cue. Raising two fingers, he ordered drinks from the hideous old crone watching over the bar. With two frothing beers in tow, he slipped past the mingling crowd like a scurrying rat. The explosion the young man was waiting for came in the form of a sudden greeting.

“Ah, my friend, I’m glad you could make it!”

The cheery man set down the beers and pulled up a chair. He pushed one of the tall pints right under the nervous worker’s nose. “You must be parched. Here, drink up.” The most important part of any scam was making the mark feel comfortable. To gain their trust. That started with proving that his offer had been an honest one. ...Even if his wallet protested the mere idea. Pushing the distracting thoughts aside, he gave the young fellow a moment to calm down and take a sip if he liked. He for one would drink at least. Much to his quiet disappointment, the mediocre taste didn’t live up to the hefty price... The term ‘daylight robbery’ sprang to mind...

Before the moment could grow awkward, the sharp-dressed rat cleared his throat. Donning the usual smile, he voiced an idle question, as was often his habit. Icebreakers were important in any business, you know. “Tell me, Theon... Have you ever opposed a tyrant?” Anticipating a certain kind of answer, his smile and tone sharpened slyly.

Would you like to?

Leaving the question hanging in the air, the gentleman fell strangely silent. He dipped a hand between his suit lapels into his breast pocket and fished out a small, white card. Carefully he slid it over to the man to inspect or ignore as he liked. A closer look would reveal a mysterious logo depicting the letters N.R.A. On the other side, there was an inspiring -or blasphemous depending on view- declaration of war against the World Government and the Celestial Dragons, along with some strangely scrambled contact information. It looked like the real deal... Because it was. If the worker tried to offer it back, the sly gentleman would motion for him to keep it. He had a whole stack of them, you see, after... finding... a wallet the other day. Already they were coming in handy.

‘Franky’ took another sip of his beer before piping up again. His tone was calm, hushed, the kind meant of sharing secrets. “Me and my... associates... have watched a certain man grow greedy and complacent for some time now.” He set down the pint and laced his fingers together. “He has been given plenty of chances to change his ways. To show his people even a shred of kindness. It’s unfortunate that he rejected every single one.” Carefully he wove the words together into a net. Reason, justification, righteousness... They were all just excuses with prettier names. “Thus we have no choice but to act. To balance the scales. To... get back at him, as it were.” Grinning, he echoed Theon’s words from their first meeting. That smile soon subsided in favor of sincerity.

“For that, I need your help.”

WC: 710
Total: 1920

This post has in-line assessment comments.Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:08 am
Nervousness had settled in, the more he kept looking at the suspicious figures, the more he regretted not bringing along his sword, when one of them had glared instantly at Theon, realising his staring, Theon stared to the side pretending as if he wasn't looking at the man in the first place. A world of relief had hit him when he saw Franky coming along, pints in each hand. A trustworthy face at last, and it looked like the surrounding glares had settled down now that they could see he's associated with a regular. "Glad to see you too Franky." he really meant that, he didn't know what might've blown up just by glares alone if Franky hadn't make his save. When the pint was served in front of him, he grabbed it by the handle and gave a slight motion of it towards him, a sort of "cheers" towards him for getting him a drink. He took a sip of it, just to test what he's drinking... beer, not too great but not the worst he's had either. The bitterness was tolerable, and it did help unwind after today's work.

There was a bit of quietness between them, but that was because Theon didn't know how to start the conversation. He had gotten too distracted by the worry of his surroundings that he didn't think to actually thank Franky for the beer, but before he could even do that, it seems Franky had taken the initiative to instead talk first. The question came directly, and it pretty much cleared up what he was thinking before. There was only one tyrant in this town, and it looked like he was right in assuming that it had to do with Morgan... still, it felt like a question that Theon simply couldn't answer with a yes or no, to add food to the thought, Theon was quick to see what the card had in it's images. The declaration of war... and the initials... it finally clicked together, a revolutionary?

Suddenly, Theon felt tempted to look around, much more nervous once more about the type of man he's dealing with, a man that openly opposes... or in this case, secretly conspiring to go against the world government. The feelings were conflicting, on one hand, every word that he said were something he could get behind. He had a dislike for nobility, pompous brats who think they could get away with whatever they want and face no accountability for when they mess up... but on the other hand, he's worried if he gets into anything serious, he may not have a chance to pay back the shipwright. If he gets burned, people might find ways to hurt him and make that connection... or maybe, the nobility back on his island might refuse his payment for the shipwright if he gets his name attached to any crimes. He felt like one day, he might have to move forward from being a simple shipwright and builder, but he just hadn't expected it so soon.

It was a little comforting that it wasn't just the two of them, that Franky's "associates" have been watching Morgan for some time. It meant that it wasn't just some devious plan between two people, and if they were to truly get back at this man, they're not alone, his fingers had tapped at the pint out of a clear tense feeling, indecisiveness to go forward with this. If he really did this... there's no turning back. He saw how the townsfolk were treated first-hand with Morgan, and there's not much reason to defend the guy. It had made him think of how shitty the nobility were back in his hometown all over again, and that spark of rebellion had ignited inside him, which finally led to an answer.

"What do you need me to do?" he might've been nervous, or trying to be calm in his previous replies, but that sentence had a fierce tone behind it, a man with clear determination. Franky presented himself as a trustworthy man so far, and he had no reason to believe that this was a setup, he was clearly different from the townsfolk and the revelation of him being a revolutionary had filled a lot of holes in the story in Theon's eyes.

WC: 719
TWC: 2,601
Maxwell
Maxwell

This post has in-line assessment comments.Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:42 am
Beneath the carefully crafted poker face, the criminal was struggling to contain his devilish glee. That fire in the fellow’s eyes told him all he needed to know. Hook, line and sinker! He could hardly believe how easily people fell for this nonsense. Had he known the revolutionaries carried this much clout among the poor suckers, he would’ve started riding their coattails years ago. It was the perfect crime! One that couldn’t possibly backfire! He had to wash the devious thoughts down with a quick swig, before he was able to answer. Even then, his response was far from direct. “Let me ask a better question...” He raised a pointing finger to punctuate his point. “What can you do?” He let the open-ended question linger for a moment.

The rat wagged his raised finger, weaving words together with casual ease. “See, in this line of work, everyone does their part. We believe that every person has a special talent for something.” In a different life, he could’ve been a politician with these slogans. He brought a hand to his chest. “Take me, for instance.” Grasping the lapel, he pinched the fabric between his fingers. It was fine silk, far too expensive for average working folk. And it tied together perfectly for his little cover story. “I used to be a tailor. One of the best, in fact. Now, my talent with the thread and needle serves me in other ways. Clothes and disguises are always in high demand, you see.” The best lies were woven together with thin truths.

Another light sip gave the gentleman’s words a brief pause. He set the pint down and watched the golden liquid slosh around. “I may not have any special powers, but there are still things only I can do.” His gaze shifted back onto the worker. “So, what is it that you can do?” His smile was warm, encouraging... and entirely fake. Years of practice made it a perfect counterfeit. “Once we know that, we can decide your role in this operation.” In truth, he already had a couple of roles in mind for this useful idiot. However, first he needed to determine the level of usefulness he was dealing with here. It was like evaluating stolen loot. Sometimes you could make... surprising finds.

WC: 382
Total: 2302

This post has in-line assessment comments.Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:16 pm
If he could, he would slap himself on the head. He got too lost in the heat of the moment that he while Franky is giving Theon everything he needs to know about him and what he does, he has no idea about Theon. He even went as far as to elaborate as to why the details are important, which was fair. They were going to do something that risked the both of their lives, since it involved opposing Morgan. He could see it from Franky's perspective, he needed to know who he's working with, what talents Theon has and how to best use them and for that, details were very important. After taking another swig of the pint, he cleared his throat as he thought about the best way to explain his abilities.

"As you might've guessed with the statue, I can build things, leaned towards ships but not against building stuff outside of that range if the pay is good." that was the most obvious, but he thought he'd need to clarify it to help with Franky's thoughts. "I won't go too much into that since I doubt it'll help with what we might be doing." as a useful skill as it is, he doubt it would be helpful in opposing a tyrant short-term. "I uh... was trained in a dojo when I was young, swordsman." that was the other thing he was decent at, keyword "decent" as he prioritised being a shipwright more than a swordsman. "I take the occasional bodyguard job, but they're far and few since I'm not a proven fighter." he hasn't taken on an actual fight in ages, if the need arises, he's worried that he may not be able to perform as well as Franky might hope.

"One last thing I should mention... I ate a Devil Fruit." that's something he doesn't try to tell most people, as most people are usually surprised at when he displays said powers and having that kind of reputation alongside him trying to be a respectable shipwright was a no go... at least, until this job. "I can create a double of anything by touch, like a clone, even myself... but they're weaker than the original." he hasn't really tried to explore the limits and creativity of his devil fruit much, he just uses his power for the simple purpose of doubling and that's really it. The only creative method he came across is doubling his sword or cloning himself for double the trouble, but not much more than that.

"So to summarise, shipwright, swordsman, devil's fruit." that's a way to put it into layman's terms, surely Franky was able to work him into the job somehow but knowing that his shipwright abilities might not help much for this job, he had a good feeling that he's going to focus on the devil fruit and the swordsman abilities.

WC: 482
TWC: 3,083
Maxwell
Maxwell

This post has in-line assessment comments.Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:19 am
Conning and fishing had a lot in common. Patience was the key to both. It was important to give some slack and let the target nibble the bait. Eventually, there would be a bite... Thus the conman gave his blissfully unaware mark ample time to explain his talents. He nodded along, jotting down notes on the imaginary journal in the depths of his mind. Naturally, he had guessed as much about the builder's background. Some would have you believe there’s no such thing as an unemployed shipwright, but that was only half the truth. Not all of them got work in their field for various reasons. Money was the best reason, of course. Swordsmanship came as a surprise, but a welcome one to be sure. He could always use the extra muscle in this operation.

Finally, the last detail in particular caught the crook’s attention. So his new friend was a fruit user, hm? He would call that an incredible stroke of luck if he hadn’t been running into so many of them lately. Well, the folks running the racket would have the populace believe Devil Fruits were exceedingly rare and valuable... And the Black Market prices confirmed the claim, sure, but... Sometimes it felt like everyone and their dog had one. Still, it wasn’t his style to scoff at an unmistakable opportunity.

‘Franky’ steepled his fingers, chewing and savoring the claim like it was a piece of gum that still had some flavor left. “Hm, so what you’re saying is...” His smile sharpened. “You can create the perfect alibi for any occasion.” In the background, the dingy, old cash register chimed loudly. For a brief moment, his venom-green eyes twisted into shapes associated with money. Or was it merely a trick of the light...?

The rat could think of a thousand ways to use the power to double things. However, now was not the time for wild theorizing. He had to reel in the day’s catch. “For instance, if some surly tyrant saw a daring hero doing something legally questionable...” He chose his words carefully to cultivate a certain image. “...but all of his fellow workers, honest bystanders and perhaps even actual Marines confirmed that he was somewhere else all day...” His idle wondering ended with a sly smile. “Who do you think the long hand of the law would believe, hm?” And a rhetorical question to go with it.

Leaving the mark to stew on the thought, the conman oiled his throat with some more beer. He leaned idly back on his seat. “On an entirely unrelated note, this clone of yours, is it strong enough to work at a construction site all day?” In the laboratory of his imagination, ideas were already bubbling in a glass container. He needed some more details and confirmations, before he could properly distil a plan. “And your shipwright skills wouldn’t happen to translate to dismantling as well, would they?” His restless fingers were tapping together, dancing from joy instead of his legs. “See, I have this rusty, old cabin door I need taken apart...” His words may have sounded innocent, but his tone told plenty enough.

WC: 525
Total: 2827

This post has in-line assessment comments.Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:03 am
He could admit that his fruit had quite a lot of versatility behind it, the ability to create a clone of himself and other objects... but it required creative thinking to its full benefit, something that he thought he had already been doing until Franky clearly labelled out the perfect way to cover his place in the heist, with a clone covering for him at the construction site and his true self doing the actual heist, his place in the heist couldn't be questioned at all. It was his luck that he hadn't told a soul on this island about how his devil fruit and how it worked, aside from Franky.

The time his clone can stay out was brought into question, he remembered having a clone last up to several hours but that was from them idly hanging around. He couldn't exactly confirm whether or not with enough physical activity if they would suddenly pop. "Hmm... my clone is weak, as in, a good punch and they're done. As long as they don't get hurt though... they should be able to cover for me for a day." then a thought occurred, if he felt lazy, he could send a clone to do a days work for him. He found it odd that he never thought of that. That's probably something he doesn't want to make a habit of, as if he starts to make himself feel lazy, his clone would also feel the same way and probably wouldn't want to work that same day.

Anyway, thoughts of his fruit had stormed his mind enough. There was plenty of time to think about what he can and can't do, what he can do for now is definitely make that clone to cover for him and that's all he needed to know and confirm with Franky. After that, he listened to his question about his shipwright skills, specifically in dismantling. The wording and tone of that last sentence made him think about the protection of Morgan's money, it could be a vault, steel door, or anything heavy-duty really. "I need to know what we're working with, right tools for the right door." that was one disadvantage, he didn't know how Morgan's protection of his fortune was being handled and he wasn't sure if Franky knew either.

"Otherwise, I could bring along some general tools but with the lack of information at hand, I can't guarantee I can dismantle the problem." it was disappointing, but he was thinking of his earlier point, his shipwright skills may not help them here.

WC: 428
TWC: 3,511
Maxwell
Maxwell

This post has in-line assessment comments.Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:43 am
Piece by piece, the puzzle came together. Beneath the polite listener’s mask, the rat greedily gobbled up every last scrap of information he could gnaw from the young fellow. Estimations, limitations, special conditions, it was all useful. While he was by no means an expert on supernatural powers, over the years he had learned that the cursed fruits tended to have the strangest weaknesses. Like, say, seawater for instance. His sly smile sharpened as the worker confirmed his particular condition. The clone was fragile, unable to handle any injuries. As long as it didn’t melt in rain or spontaneously combust in sunlight, he could make the plan work.

When Theon returned the query ball, ‘Franky’ took a moment to wet his throat and to craft an excuse. He had never actually seen the target’s home further than the front door, but he couldn’t exactly admit it. “Well, it’s a heavy and stubborn, old thing.” The memory from the morning flashed through his eyes, sending shudders down his spine. He could still feel that broom beating against his back... “Metal frame and all. Solid craftsmanship surely.” At least that applied to both the front gate and the door beyond that. Why would the interior be any different? “You might want to bring the big tools for this one.” Even a simple crowbar would prove useful, but he wasn’t the type to make assumptions about a fellow professional’s toolkit.

Another sip gave the crook a convenient pause. He mulled over his options. His smile, however, remained unwavering. “Even if it proves beyond your expertise, I’m sure two clever people can figure out a solution on the fly.” Going through a window was always an option. Noisy, sure, but an option nonetheless. Likewise, money was the easiest and the cleanest thing to steal, but rich folk tended to have many other things worth grabbing. “So grab whatever you can comfortably carry. Oh and... Bring a sack and some rope, would you?” Both were key components for the plan, certainly.

After downing the rest of the nearly empty pint, the gentleman rose from his seat. “Now then, if you’ll excuse me... I have to make some... arrangements for tomorrow.” He wasn’t going into the operation empty-handed either, you know. While stepping past the worker, he leaned in for a quick whisper. “Meet me at sunrise behind the tyrant’s estate. Look for a red ribbon on the fence.” Leaving the young man to memorize the information, he walked off and headed upstairs to his room. Tomorrow would be a busy day and they both still had work to do before bed.

At sunrise...

Morgan’s estate was one of the best-known locations of the town. Who could miss that massive manor the size of an entire apartment building? A tall iron fence surrounded the green yard, accompanied by a lush hedge so that the owner wouldn’t have to see the dreary barrier of black bars. The ornate front gate was tightly shut, complete with a pompously dressed guard standing by it. However, behind the estate, right at the shadow of the towering building, a small ribbon clung to the fence. It waved in the wind, as if beckoning people closer. However, the gentleman was nowhere to be seen... And neither was anyone else. The back road was blissfully quiet this early in the morning.

WC: 558
Total: 3385

This post has in-line assessment comments.Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:20 pm
Metal frame and all, that would've been complicated. He could think of one or two tools that could drill through metal, like a thermal drill, but that'd take a while and not to mention the noise behind drills. If stealth is their game, then a drill was off the table. It was unfortunate, but the earlier assumption of his shipwright expertise wouldn't be able to help them in this regard. Every option he could think of involved them going loud, and that was simply a no-go. Not to mention the weight of carrying the "big tools" would get someones attention, either by sound or visual. "We'll have to think of something when we get there then, I don't think it's practical if I brought anything of my own." he'd have to look through his workplaces workshop if there's anything he could use at all, but his initial thinking is that nothing can be used for what they're trying to do.

A sack and some rope, he didn't know why Franky couldn't bring it himself, but he'd comply with it. He was thinking that Franky could be bringing some "big tools", and might not be able to carry anything else. "Got it." and afterwards, Franky made his leave on the excuse of making arrangements, furthering to his own thinking that he's bringing something along to help. He also heard the whisper, and in his head, replayed it to himself. "Sunrise behind the estate, red ribbon on fence." Theon would normally be forgetful sometimes, but doing something as daring as this heist of theirs kept Theon on edge, and there's hardly anything that'll make him forget details surrounding it.

The same edge made him remained seated for a while, occasionally taking swigs of the rest of his pint until it was time for him to leave as well. This entire thing felt like a secret operation, the kind of thing you'd read in stories of a brave agent. It went to Theon's head a little, or maybe the alcohol was. By the time he caught on that he was enjoying his drink a little too much, he made his leave.

The rest of his night wasn't exciting, he simply arrived at the inn he was staying at and went off to sleep. In the morning, he woke up earlier than usual to meet the expected time of "sunrise", trying to grab everything he could. He first made a clone of himself so the clone would carry the usual duties of "Theon Clyde", meanwhile the real Theon would start to dress differently. He hated looking shady and having to dress up for it, but he needed something that could cover his identity. It ended up with him wearing a lot of black on his upper body, black hoodie, black mask that covered his nose and mouth. He thought of bringing along his katana, but that would raise suspicion. He had no choice but to circle around the town, in hopes of no one else being awake. It helped that there was a lot of time before sunrise, which meant a lot of people weren't even awake yet. As long as he kept himself quiet, he'd make it there in no time without any suspicion. He brought along a large bag that's usually for carrying a large number of tools in one go, but it could be used as a makeshift sack as Franky wanted. He'd also have some spare rope lying around, as Theon liked to have a few shipwright tools at home. It was pretty convenient, all things considered.

As both Theon's went off for their day, Theon had both his mask and hoodie on the instant they walked out. For his alibi to work, he could not be identified at all. The walk was long, and the avoiding of any buildings was a bit irritating but it had to be done. By the time it was done, the sun rose up just a little, but not long enough by the time Theon had finally arrived by the back of the estate, the crimson red ribbon being the first thing to catch his eye.

Theon believed that his outfit wouldn't be eyecatching, and it wouldn't be if it wasn't for the fact that he's overdoing it on trying to not be identified, and the sword that is sheathed on his hip. He simply waited by the fence, sitting down just so nobody could see him by simply looking out at the window.

WC: 750
TWC: 4,261
Maxwell
Maxwell

This post has in-line assessment comments.Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:38 am
Shortly after Theon arrived, the bush near the red ribbon rustled. The leaves parted and the head of an old man peeked through. A bushy, white beard covered most of his features and the rest were hidden beneath ridiculously large shades. “Pssst, in here.” The sharp whisper wiggled the white whiskers. Not simply content with gesturing the man closer, he actually tried to drag him inside given half a chance. Indeed, behind the conveniently concealing foliage the second fence was missing a section of the iron bars. The hole was barely large enough for a grown man to fit through. ...As long as he sucked his gut in at least. Breaching the perimeter had never been easier.

If the co-conspirator accepted the strange invite, he would soon find himself inside the lush fence. The old man would scooch aside just enough to give the younger fellow some room. A closer look revealed the beard to be laughably fake, the kind sold in the cheapest costume shops. Likewise, the rest of the disguise looked like he had just collided with a bargain bin and left running. His orange shirt was at least two sizes too big, while his black, baggy jogging pants were only held up by a rope and good wishes. Worn-down work boots completed the chaotic getup. At the very least, no ignorant bystander would ever suspect that this clown was the dapper gentleman from last evening.

All the leaves aside, the hole in the fence was a rather cozy hiding spot. One could see the estate and this side of the yard with a glance. The impeccably trimmed lawn was decorated with small statues depicting everyone’s favorite selfish and fat noble. A fountain glimmered in the center like a blue jewel. At the end of a paved walkway, the unguarded backdoor beckoned to the uninvited visitors. Not a living soul in sight, no guards or guard dogs. It all seemed perfect.

After surveying the yard for a moment, ‘Franky’ turned his attention to Theon and lifted his shades. “It’s me.” He said it like his identity had been some sort of indecipherable mystery. The sly wink afterwards was just unnecessary, really. He was so proud of himself. “And I must say, your disguise isn’t half-bad either. You even brought the sack and the rope. Good, good.” Lowering his shades again, he ever so carefully stepped out to the yard. “We have to move. My sources tell me the target won’t get up until lunch, but I would rather not take any chances.” With soundless steps, he snuck over to the nearest statue and motioned his ally to follow.

WC: 440
Total: 3825

This post has in-line assessment comments.Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:06 pm
The sharp whisper had honestly surprised him, turning around to find... Franky, who dragged him through his grip. By the time his shock and senses attuned themselves from all the colliding surprises, he saw the disguise, a really bad beard, and the rest of his "disguise", if you can even call it that... in hindsight, it must've been genius. Theon felt like he wanted to move away from Franky for a split second there, and that must've been the purpose! It was far smarter than what Theon could've ever come up with, and it added to how capable Franky really was in Theon's eyes. The reveal of his identity followed by what would normally be an odd wink only made Theon return the favour. "And, it's me." he winked back, though perhaps not as good. He was too rushed in the moment of this operation that he didn't really stop to think how that came across.

"Your disguise is better than mine, I tried too hard to be discreet... but the way you're dressed, people wouldn't want to glance at you a second time." and the mention of the "sources" told him all he needed to know; they're not alone, and they got this. As soon as Maxwell made his way through the hole, Theon chucked his sword across first, then the bag, and the rope, followed by himself. Halfway through, his hips got stuck at how tight the hole is. "Hmm... hold on, damn." he kept pulling himself and by overexerting, his grunting could be heard. It was fortunate that there weren't any guards around to hear it. One of the iron bars literally ripped off as Theon finally fell into the other side, as Theon stood up, he quickly grabbed the bar and threw it into back out the hole, inside the bush they were hiding in. "You never know, we might need to make a second round, would be bad if they found this hole." leaving an iron bar around would make the one good spot known.

Theon had some trouble looking at the yard properly, and it made him... envious, as much as he didn't like to admit it. A nice place, belonging to a tempestuous, unlikable noble. Some people just did not deserve the nice things in life, and this guy was one of them. It only added more confidence to Theon to make this operation to go smoothly. He picked up his sword and sheathed it back around the belt on his hip, alongside the bag and rope. "Okay, let's get going." all though Franky was the one with the reliable information, Theon snuck alongside Franky, making his way to the statue. Now that they were getting somewhere, he decided to ask what would be a few critical questions. "Does the guy have alarms? and where is the vault exactly?" he doubts that they would get separated but if they did, they could at least rendezvous in the general direction of where they're supposed to be, and Theon wanted to have some idea of the security so he doesn't trip on anything he shouldn't.

WC: 520
TWC: 4,781
Maxwell
Maxwell

This post has in-line assessment comments.Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:23 am
Simply surveying the empty yard was enough to quicken the nervous rat’s pulse. He masked it beneath an air of professionalism. “That’s the plan. The best place to hide is in plain sight, where people don’t want to notice you.” All cities had their poor, unfortunate souls who were practically invisible to the so-called better folk. Borrowing their distinct fashion had its perks.

Peering from the shadow of the tasteless statue, ‘Franky’ focused on listening. Silence was a good sign. He quickly scampered further ahead, before answering in a hushed whisper. “No, he doesn’t trust alarms. Rather, he employs some...” A flashback of the menacing broom beating him down flashed before his eyes. “...guards. Angry ones.” Old-fashioned, perhaps, but undeniably effective.

Following another quick glance to right and left, the sneaky thief crept across the yard with long, silent steps. He pushed himself into the shade of a decorative bush. If and when his partner followed, he would continue sharing hushed secrets. “The worst of them is Julius, his personal guard. Never seen the man himself, but supposedly he can bend iron bars into pretzels.” Or so he had heard. Honestly, he for one would rather not test the rumors.

“So let’s not get caught, alright? Right.”

With a firm nod, the rat tiptoed the rest of the way, to the shadow of the building. The backdoor was within arm’s reach. Sadly, his arm quickly confirmed that it was locked and wouldn’t budge. Typical.

‘Franky’ dug into his pockets. While he rummaged, he also took the opportunity to fill in the gaps. “As for the target... Well... He heh... About that...” He stifled an awkward, disarming laugh. A force of habit, really. “The information on the mansion’s layout is vague, see.” Oh come on now, which pocket was it...? These blasted pants better not have a hole in them.  

The anxious crook stopped for a moment, thinking he heard something. Footsteps? He hoped dearly it was just his imagination. “But if I were a gambling man...” And he was, it was a serious problem. “...I’d wager it’s somewhere in the basement, out of sight and out of reach for average burglars.” Either that or the door he had caught a glimpse of yesterday led to a very secure wine cellar.

Ah, found them.

Well-versed -and armed- in the art of skulduggery, the shady man revealed a pair of thin, curved, metal sticks. He slid them gently into the lock and pressed his ear against the door. Holding his breath, he focused. His hands worked with the practiced precision of a tailor. Or a surgeon...

The thieving tools sang their quiet song. Each twist and turn elicited a little rattle. Click on one, click on two, snap on three... Wait, no. He pulled out the sticks, or rather their stubs. Maybe there were some tools that should not be stolen from the bargain bin. “Rats...” He glanced over his shoulder at his partner in crime. “Hey, got any tools to get us through here?” At this point, he would accept anything ranging from a screwdriver to a stick of dynamite.

WC: 518
Total: 4343

This post has in-line assessment comments.Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:26 pm
He didn't trust alarms... well, that would be a mistake for him and convenient for the both of them. The mention of the guards reminded him how dangerous this mission really was, especially with the mention of Julius. He remembered yesterday that one of his fellow co-workers mentioned a bodyguard working under Morgan, who has singlehandedly stopped a pirate invasion before. It sounds like it could be the same guy, and that excitement felt before was replaced with a lot more caution, almost a jab in the back of his mind telling him to step back before it's too late, but he's too far in to give up.

He nodded at the statement of not getting caught, a good idea. It might've been obvious to state, but considering how sensitive and illegal this operation is, simple statements like that helped him focus, keep him in the game. Franky elaborated on where the vault is, or rather, could be. Theon thought he knew that piece of information, but he guessed he had his limits. Franky hadn't been the only one to hear footsteps, as it also caught Theon's attention. A footstep a floor above, which suddenly went quiet.

When Franky asked Theon if he had anything to open the door, he looked squarely towards it. Stealth was the game, but he had nothing on hand that could discreetly get them through. He looked at the sword on his hip, could he slash it? "Well, I have an idea... but it's stupid, not going to lie." just as he started to unsheath it, a monstrous landing roared from the yard. There were stomps repeating, and getting closer. By instinct, Theon jumped out of the way, grabbing Franky with him, followed by a crashing into the door. Theon quickly stood up, offering to help Franky get up as well if he needed and to keep their distance.

The door would be completely smashed in, and a tall, muscular figure would soon appear out of the doorway. "Thieves! thought I heard someone." the man didn't look fazed at all by the fact he just ran through a door, and he's ready for more. The confidence that the man had, was astonishing if anything, and something that Theon was quick to snap himself out of. Theon went on ahead with unsheathing his sword, his body was still covered in black so his identity wouldn't be uncovered. "F, go on ahead. I'll try and distract him." this... had to be Julius, the infamous bodyguard.

Theon rushed for a feint, followed by the bodyguard instead rushing towards Theon, which forced Theon to quickly jump out of the way again, just like with the door. If the man could casually crash into a sturdy door and walk it off like it's nothing, then the last thing he needed is to be on the receiving end of that. It also made an opening for Franky.

WC: 486
TWC: 5,267
Maxwell
Maxwell